Light & Learning

Campus Location

In the early days, the Canning College had no building of its own, and had to lead almost a peripatetic existence, the scene of its activity being periodically changed as one or other building proved unsuitable or insufficient. During the first twelve years, the College was shifted from its original abode, the Aminuddaulah Palace, to a number of places, one after another, including the Lal Baradari. At last, it was housed in its own building at Kaisar Bagh. The foundation stone of this new building was laid by the Viceroy, Sir John Lawrence, as far back as November 13,1867, but the work of construction was not completed until 1878. On November 15 of that year, Sir George Couper, Lt. Commissioner of Avadh, formally opened the new building.

For well over three decades the Canning College remained in the Kaisar Bagh building; but this site was scarcely suitable for the development of a big residential institution; and College Management had to cast about for a more spacious site somewhere else. The provincial Government was prevailed upon to come to its assistance and it readily consented to purchase the college building for a sum of Rs. 2,10,000/- to house the Provincial Museum. In 1905 the Government handed over to the college the extensive walled garden of about 90 acres on the north of the river Gomti, popularly known as Badshah Bagh, originally a garden house of King Nasiruddin Haidar, and, since the pacification of Avadh, the Lucknow residence of the Maharaja of Kapurthala. Of the old royal building of this garden, only the Lal Baradari, one lofty and handsome gate and one canal have survived as a reminder of its past glories.

The implementation of the scheme of a new building was made possible because of the special grant made by the Government, the proceeds of the sale of the old building at Kaiserbagh and munificence of Maharaja Sir Bhagwati Singh of Balrampur. The plans of the building were entrusted to the well-known architect. Sir Swinton Jacob, who prepared an impressive design in the Indo-Saracenic style. The plans of the building were considered by the experts to be so distinctive and elegant that they were subsequently sent for demonstration at the Exhibition held in London on the occasion of Festival of Empire in 1911.

The Central Library of the university known as the Tagore Library is one of the richest libraries in the country. It has 5.25 lakh books, 50,000 journals and approximately 10,000 copies of approved Ph.D. and D.Litt. dissertations. This library is computerized and has its own web site. It is equipped with the facilities of lending books, inter-library loan, reference services and photocopying. The total staff strength of the library is 80 which includes the administrative, professional, semiprofessional andministerial staff. Prof. Aqil Ahmad, Department of Statistics is the present Honorary Librarian and Dr. Jyoti Mishra, the Deputy Librarian.

The University also has a Cooperative Lending Library, in addition to the individual departmental libraries. Keeping in view the growing need for education and professionalism the University has recognized 48 associated colleges for the teaching of undergraduate courses. Some of these colleges have also been permitted to undertake postgraduate teaching in various subjects. For a healthy relationship among the teachers, students and non-teaching staff, the University has created three independent bodies - Lucknow University Teachers' Association, Lucknow University Students' Union and Lucknow University Karmachari Parishad. Prof. D. P. Tiwari and Dr. Pushpendra Mishra are the respective President and General Secretary of the Teachers' Association.

The Students' Union, during the current academic session has engaged itself in many constructive activities. It has organized a few national seminars on relevant issues, worked in the direction of improving the living conditions of the students on the campus and in the hostels. It has also undertaken tree plantation and blood donation camps. The University has an efficient Proctorial Board headed by Dr. A. N. Singh of the Department of Social Work to maintain law and order on the campus.

The University also provides residential facilities to teachers, students and non-teaching staff. There are over all 13 hostels for boys and girls in the University. Kailash Hall and the New Management Girls Hostel can house nearly 600 girl students. Extra-curricular and employment needs of the students are taken care of by various centres and associations, such as, Delegacies, Athletic Association, Centre for Cultural Activities, Information and Employment Bureau and Centre for Information, Publication and Public Relations. An important feature of the University is the organisation of regular National Service Scheme programmes to create awareness for social service amongst the students. The University also imparts military training to the students through its NCC Wing The cadets of the Army. and Naval Wings contribute effectively to society by participating in activities like election duties, facilitating traffic control, blood donation, tree plantation, etc.

During the past two decades there has been an extension of the University Campus. This is borne out by the fact that a huge and majestic building, as part of the New Campus, has been constructed on 75 acres of land provided by the State Government on Sitapur Road near Engineering College. The New Campus at present is being used for the teaching of management and law courses. It also has a hostel for boys almost ready for use. The University of Lucknow in terms of its excellence in academic and extra-curricular fields has acquired a prestigious place among the leading universities of the country. Despite general criticism with regard to the falling standards of higher education it will not be an exaggeration to assert that this University, even to date, maintains its dignity and quality of education.

Quick Links